Loukoumades or Greek donuts are moreish little mouthfuls of the softest dough drizzled in a gorgeous spiced honey syrup. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Scoop up about 2 tablespoons of dough per puff with the wet spoon, drop it into the wet palm of your hand, and roll it back into the spoon to create a round shape. About 3 minutes. In Greece, loukoumades are more of a winter desert but you can find them around in summer if you ask. Loukoumades are delicious little Greek donuts, drenched in honey syrup, cinnamon and walnuts. I prefer to refer to them as the Devil's donuts. Be sure to buy local honey when you can. Several variations of deep fried pastry balls seasoned with honey and spices are popular in the Mediterranean and Asian cuisines.. Print Pin. Loukoumades, the original Greek doughnut hole! You will find them throughout Cyprus all year round at festivals and fairs. In Corfu it is the most favorite dessert at Saint Spyridon's day which is the most glory day on the whole island! This recipe was given to me by my Giagia and is super easy to follow. When frying, do so in batches and do not crowd the pot—otherwise, the loukoumades will stick to each other and the oil temperature will lower. Repeat until all your Loukoumades are dunked in the syrup. Loukoumades are the Greek version of doughnuts. A food blog with plant-based recipes from all over the world. The loukoumades will puff up and rise to the top of the oil very quickly. Yum! Calories 888 kcal. I use the same oil a maximum of two times. May 31, 2018 - It is believed loukoumades trace back to the first Olympics in 776 BC, where winners were given fried dough covered in honey when presented with their wreaths – these “honey tokens” have so been worth keeping around for the past couple of millennia. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. 2 cups plain flour. Place the loukoumades on a baking sheet, drizzle them with honey syrup, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. In a large bowl, mix the warm milk, sugar, and salt, and mix to dissolve. Oil should be about 2 inches deep. DELICIOUSLY PERFECT!!!! December 4, 2015 by Ania - 18 . Fish out cinnamon quill and pour hot syrup over hot loukoumades. Some say these sweet Greek donuts were served at the first Greek Olympic games! Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. Cook's note. I also add some butter and salt to my sauce and trust me, it makes a HUGE difference! 0 from 0 votes. Loukoumades or Greek donuts are moreish little mouthfuls of the softest dough drizzled in a gorgeous spiced honey syrup. They are also traditionally served on 6th January (Epiphany) in all Cypriot homes and thrown on the roofs of houses by many to ward off the Kallikantzaroi (mischievous goblins). 1 stick of cinnamon . In Turkey, the Lokma recipe is very similar to Loukoumades and known since the XIX Century AC.. Recipe was really good. Honey butter is my secret food weapon in these loukoumades. Next time I will definately increase the sugar in the dough- maybe to 1/2c? Place the fried dough balls into a deep bowl of cooled syrup or roll them hot in cinnamon sugar. Knead using the dough hook until elastic - 5 minutes or so. Turn them over and as they turn golden, take them out with a slotted spoon and place on some paper. She whips up a batch whenever she feels like making something sweet. "Okay, got it. Always dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water and let the dough to rise in warm environment . Remove cooked loukoumades from the oil and place onto a paper towel covered dish to drain. Prep Time 10 minutes. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on the bottom and roll them over to cook the other side, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. They are called “Loukoumades”. A quick and easy recipe for a traditional treat, so syrupy and crunchy! mine weren't perfect circles but they were delicious. They're popular all around the Mediterranean, especially in Greece, and are beloved as a Hanukkah treat among Sephardic Jews. Preparation: Prepare the syrup by boiling all the syrup ingredients together. Method. Let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam. Drizzle in sticky passionfruit syrup and serve with a dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt. In a bowl add all purpose flour, yeast, sugar powder, ghee, little water and mix nicely to make a slakey dough, allow it prove for 45 to 1 hr. They are served with honey, cinnamon and walnuts or plain in Cyprus. Also I added the cinnamon to the honey syrup as it cooked rather then sprinkling it on top. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper while making the syrup. Share your creations by tagging @notquitenigella on Instagram with the hashtag #notquitenigella, Preparation time: 20 minutes plus time for rising from 1 hour to overnight. Fried to golden perfection, they’re covered in a honey syrup … You know, like that one recipe that your mom … Loukoumades Greek Style Donuts (Honey Balls) Loukoumades are one of the most popular Cypriot treats. Follow Not Quite Nigella on Email, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook. Jan 29, 2018 - Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. It's crispy on the outside, sweet and puffy on the inside. They are little balls of fried dough. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Sometimes served with a dark chocolate sauce, the recipe uses a fragrant honey syrup infused with Clemengold juice and zest to coat the loukoumades in. Also it's important to make sure that the sauce is hot. Oct 8, 2017 - Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. A quick and easy recipe for a traditional treat, so syrupy and crunchy! ½ cup passionfruit pulp . Every morning I send my friends the latest, Four Donuts: Four Fabulous Fillings! Mix the flour, yeast, and water to make a batter. Loukoumades are the Greek version of doughnuts. instead of using the honey syrup i used white confertoners sugar a topping.it turned out great.this is defentally something i will make more of. Snowball Donuts Filled With Sour Cream & Strawberry Jam! 2 teaspoons/7g/1packet instant dried yeast, 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted pistachios to serve. I just added a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the dough and it had a good flavor. Loukoumades syrup These are traditionally soaked in a honey syrup, I will be using a sugar syrup in this recipe, mixed with cardamom for an absolute flavour burst Where do Loukoumades … Loukoumades are served with a honey syrup, cinnamon and crushed walnuts. These were ok but I found the dough was pretty bland and not at all sweet. I have fond memories of these bite… Very delicious. 2018-05-31 - It is believed loukoumades trace back to the first Olympics in 776 BC, where winners were given fried dough covered in honey when presented with their wreaths – these “honey tokens” have so been worth keeping around for the past couple of millennia. Sprinkled with pistachios they make a wonderful treat that are easy to make but hard to stop at just one! Drizzle in sticky passionfruit syrup and serve with a dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt. 300ml water. It’s the honey syrup that really makes them stand out if you ask me. The Cypriot ones are dipped in a simple sugar syrup. Turn off the heat and let the honey syrup cool. I also mixed the cinnamon right into the honey syrup when it was boiling. I let it come to a boil then I lowered the heat and let it simmer about 5 minutes. They are also traditionally served on 6th January (Epiphany) in all Cypriot homes and thrown on the roofs of houses by many to ward off the Kallikantzaroi (mischievous goblins). Cool the oil and then strain it of any solids. The recipe is exactly the same as for loukoumades but instead of adding water, I added grape must. This is a pushy recipe Dear Reader! They are called “Loukoumades”. Makes about 36 Source: Celebration Breads: Recipes, Tales, and Traditions by Betsy Oppenneer. They are little balls of fried dough. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. [Recipe] Loukoumades. In a bowl add all purpose flour, yeast, sugar powder, ghee, little water and mix nicely to make a slakey dough, allow it prove for 45 to 1 hr. Cook Time 30 minutes. Passionfruit Syrup. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Heat oil and drop in small dumpling with hand like as shown in video. They will become your new favorite treat! Mix honey and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Loukoumades with ClemenGold Syrup Specially developed by Georgia East of www.eastafternoon.com Originating in Greece, loukoumades are small teardrop-shaped doughnuts made with yeast. Cuisine Greek. Loukoumades. Passionfruit Syrup. To make the syrup, add all the ingredients into a small saucepan, bringing to the boil and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Step 3 - Meanwhile while it is heating away, heat up the oil in a deep fryer or a heavy based pot until it reaches 180C/350F. Heat the honey, water, cinnamon and orange zest in a small saucepan and bring to a boil for around 5 minutes. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. The Lokma are also prepared without any syrup … The loukoumades are then sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon, walnuts or sesame seeds. Images 3 and 4. ¼ cup caster sugar Pour the yeast mixture into the milk mixture, and stir to combine. Loukoumades (loo-koo-MAH-thes) is the Greek version of a doughnut. I've given directions for both below. I find these bite sized Lokma or Loukoumade donuts balls very addictive, especially with the spiced honey sauce. Quick vs slow rise of dough: two options! Loukoumades, Lokma or Zalabya, there are so many names for these simple fried balls. vegetable oil, for deep-frying. Do you like the honey butter combination? No need to run to the shop, this recipe … This made it easy to evenly coat the loukoumades with cinnamon. You can never have enough of them. For those of you who have been following us for a while (we’re so happy), you may remember that we had already posted a recipe for loukoumades – in the fall of 2018. Drizzle in sticky passionfruit syrup and serve with a dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt. What I did was add the honey and water to a pot and add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar to the pot along with a cinnamon stick. These sweet Greek doughnuts start with a yeast dough. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour until triple in size. chopped walnuts or pistachios . this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I found that 2 tbsp of dough was to much for one so I decreased the size to 1 big tbsp instead. Their aroma is magnetic and their taste is addictive! Step 4 - Place cooked donuts on a tray lined with paper towels. Syrup: boil the honey, sugar, water and cinamom for 10 minutes. Or alternatively, you can soak the donuts in the syrup if you like your donuts sweeter. Drizzle in sticky passionfruit syrup and serve with a dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt. Gently set the Leave to cool. That’s what this Greek Honey Balls recipe is all about. https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/loukoumades-spiced-sesame-syrup Place them on a wire rack with a pan underneath to catch dripping syrup (add back into syrup pot). You can never have enough of them. When preparing this loukoumades recipe, the key is to use the right temperature. My family still teases me about the time I tucked away 5 softball sized loukoumades on one summer trip to Chios – I couldn’t help myself, they were that good. Loukoumades Greek Style Donuts (Honey Balls) Loukoumades are one of the most popular Cypriot treats. A few drops of lemon juice. Usually loukoumades have a cinnamon or citrus infused honey syrup. The dough wasn't sweet and drizzling honey on it wasn't enough for us. Remove from the syrup … These golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in your mouth. They could be even without the eggs. Thermomix Leonard's Bakery Malasada Donuts. Reviewed by millions of home cooks. Step 1b - Quick dough: dissolve the salt in water and then add to a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix the salt water with the flour, milk, yeast and sugar until starting to come together. ... Today, I made moustalevria and kept some grape juice to make loukoumades. Dip warm Loukoumades in hot syrup and immediately sprinkle with cinnamon and sesame seeds or walnuts. Our most trusted Loukoumades With Syrup recipes. Ingredienten voor Loukoumades - Dit is wat je nodig hebt om Loukoumades voor te bereiden ; Meel met water, melk, gist, suiker, zout en olijfolie in een kom ; Mengen tot een niet te dun, zacht deeg. You can soak them with syrup using one of these two methods: Either, dip them into the honey syrup a few at a time, or just pour the syrup … They're popular all around the Mediterranean, especially in … Repeat with the rest of the dough. Drizzle in sticky passionfruit syrup and serve with a dollop of creamy Greek yoghurt. But as far as homemade loukoumades go, these are excellent. EatSmarter has over 80,000 healthy & delicious recipes online. These loukoumades are not traditional – I am still trying to master the art of the traditional Cypriot loukoumades – one that tastes like what you buy at the fairs. Lokma is a popular and traditional dessert in many countries. Put maple syrup, 60 ml of orange juice and cinnamon quill in a small saucepan. Resting Time 1 hour. I mean it's no huge secret, loads of people do this but I don't know why honey butter as a concept hasn't taken off more because if anyone has ever had honey and butter on top of a crumpet then you'll know more moreish and delicious the combination is. Great!! We’ll begin by making our syrup since it has to be completely cool when we add it to our dumplings. Preparation time: 2 hours | Serves: 4-6 (about […] go to recipe. Repeat until all your Loukoumades are dunked in the syrup. Sometimes referred to as lokma, these doughnuts are popular in Turkey, Egypt, and Greece. Preparation time: 2 hours | Serves: 4-6 (about […] Very good the only change was that I added cloves instead of cinnamon to the warm honey delicious:). These golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in your mouth. Images 3 and 4. Place a large table or soup spoon in a glass of water near the batter. Loukoumades are served with a honey syrup, cinnamon and crushed walnuts. Honey donuts – Loukoumades by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis. One thing is certain: These syrup drenched dough balls have some staying power. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Stir the dough well, cover, and let rise 30 more minutes. Loukoumades, the original Greek doughnut hole! Step 2 - When you want to make these donuts, start the honey syrup so that it is hot when you finish frying the donuts. Remove from heat, leave to cool and add rosewater. SIMILAR RECIPES INTO OTHER COUNTRIES. Loukoumades recipe like a pro. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. 1 cup honey. Seriously, they're that easy. You’ll need 3-4 hours for your dough to rise, plus about 45 minutes to an hour to fry them. Reusing it more often increases exposure to free radicals. Serves 4. What Are Loukoumades? Our most trusted Loukoumades With Syrup recipes. Getting them perfectly round is nearly impossible and only the really experienced Grandmothers seem to get it right. ¼ cup caster sugar. Loukoumades are little bite-sized fluffy Greek honey puffs, which are deep fried until golden and crispy, soaked in honey and garnished with chopped walnuts and cinnamon. Using an oiled ice cream scoop (small 3/4 ounce one) scoop out a small round of dough. When the mixture was done I took the balls and put them in the syrup for about 3 minutes and let them soak up some of that flavor. … Make them fresh and serve them warm with honey, ground cinnamon, toasted sesame seeds or chopped walnuts! Loukoumades Recipe (Quick and Easy) - Duration: 3:10. Lenten Greek honey puffs recipe … The water should be no more than 100 degrees F (40 degrees C). Slow rising your dough is generally better for digestion due to the fermentation of the dough. Servings 6 servings. We’ll begin by making our syrup since it has to be completely cool when we add it to our dumplings. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Loukoumades - Greek Donuts. This easy Loukoumades recipe begins with mixing the ingredients for the dough. Try them out! Drop the dough balls into the hot oil in batches, wetting the spoon each time you make a dough ball. I prefer to refer to them as the Devil’s donuts. Course Dessert. NOTE: Loukoumades do not freeze well and are best served fresh. So tell me Dear Reader, how many loukoumades would be your limit? SYRUP. Reviewed by millions of home cooks. Loukoumades - Traditional Greek Recipe by Maria Benardis - Duration: 12:24. Greek-style yoghurt, to serve . Step 1a- Overnight dough: dissolve the salt in water and then add to a bowl and mix the salt water with the flour, milk, yeast and sugar with a spatula until there are no lumps. Avoid cooking too many at once or the oil temperature will drop too low. In Greece, we call them Loukoumades which is a word used to describe something very tasty (“loukoumi”). This is a pushy recipe Dear Reader! Serves 4. Other toppings or flavours for loukoumade: Loukoumades go perfectly a chocolate or Nutella sauce or you can sprinkle these with toasted sesame seeds or walnuts. Let’s start at the beginning. Can oil used for deep frying be reused? Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Lightly drizzle on syrup as you serve dish by dish. You can either drizzle the donuts in the honey sauce or soak them in it depending on how sweet you want them. She ate 28 one night and warned me about their moreishness as she ended up feeling a bit sick afterwards. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on the bottom, and roll them over to cook the other side, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. No need to run to the shop, this recipe … Loukoumades stap voor stap maken? its best not to syrup the entire batch as the loukoumades at the bottom of the bowl will inevitably get soggy the longer they sit at the bottom of the bowl. Ingredients. Plate your Loukoumades and then sprinkle some ground walnuts and ground cinnamon on top and serve warm. Mix in the mashed potato and beat well. Amount is based on available nutrient data. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Now dunk your Loukoumades into the hot syrup and allow them to steep in the syrup a3-4 minutes before removing. Peanut Butter & Strawberry Jam Iced Donuts! Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Cover and allow to rise overnight. How to make traditional Greek Loukoumades? Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Allow batter to stand for a while until it rises. Or you can add orange blossom water or rose water to your honey syrup! Sometimes I think people used to know better… Today, in order to make a dessert (or cook anything as a matter of fact) we will probably use a whole cupboard shelve of ingredients. INCREDIBLE Leonard's Bakery Malasada Donuts With Guava and Custard! Step 5 - Place on a serving plate and drizzle with the hot sauce. Serve warm. Loukoumades syrup These are traditionally soaked in a honey syrup, I will be using a sugar syrup in this recipe, mixed with cardamom for an absolute flavour burst Where do Loukoumades come from/Origin Feb 27, 2018 - These little yeast-risen dough puffs are deep-fried to a golden brown, then drizzled with honey syrup and sprinkled with cinnamon. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on the bottom and roll them over to cook the other side, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Repeat until you have half a dozen donut balls in the oil. Jan 29, 2018 - Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. They absorb syrup better and are very delicious. Greekalicious & Maria Benardis 44,756 views. I'll stop at 27 then," I agreed. Now dunk your Loukoumades into the hot syrup and allow them to steep in the syrup a3-4 minutes before removing. Syrup: ½ kg sugar. Sometimes served with a dark chocolate sauce, the recipe uses a fragrant honey syrup infused with Clemengold juice and zest to coat the loukoumades in. Bring the mixture to boil and then simmer very gently for 10-15 minutes until the syrup thickens a little. This recipe was given to me by my Giagia and is super easy to follow. Beat in the butter, eggs, and flour until the mixture forms a smooth, soft dough. !It is one of the most famous dessert especially at holidays Christmas and New Years eve. The key to a great Loukoumdes is a lovely crisp shell and a soft, fluffy interior. Info. Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. Cook for 5 minutes turning them so that all sides are cooked. Dissolve the yeast in the water and then add all the ingredients to create a smooth batter. To make the syrup, in a saucepan put water, sugar, honey and cinnamon stick and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes. Serve hot. If you make the dough thicker they will still be delicious but, they will be a little on the chewy side. Mar 20, 2018 - These golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in your mouth. While in the past people could cook miracles with only a handful of ingredients. Meanwhile, for honey and thyme syrup, combine honey, sugar, rind, juice and 125ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stir until sugar dissolves (3-5 minutes), then simmer until slightly … Effervescent Lemonade Meringue Donuts Now With Extra Fizz! You can also dust with some powdered sugar or better make a chocolate syrup and drizzle above. Place the fried dough balls into a deep bowl of cooled syrup or roll them hot in cinnamon sugar. Transfer them onto a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Light As Air Halloumi Donuts With Blueberry Jam! These little yeast-risen dough puffs are deep-fried to a golden brown, then drizzled with honey syrup and sprinkled with cinnamon. you can either knead this dough on the day and then let it rise for an hour or leave the dough overnight. Give yourself plenty of time to make traditional Greek loukoumades. Sprinkle with chopped, toasted pistachios. For half the loukoumades, dunk several at a time into the syrup mixture and stir with a large spoon to cover them with the syrup. Let me know which way you like them better in the comments section. Do not overhandle the puffy, soft dough. DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? And without putting on the honey surop but some powdered sugar with a lot of cinnamon!!!Delicious!!! Loukoumades are delicious little Greek donuts, drenched in honey syrup, cinnamon and walnuts. The Loukoumades (Fried Dough Balls with Honey Syrup) recipe out of our category Yeast Dough! We used wheat flour because that's all we had and they came out great. Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes. These golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in your mouth. Deep fry and place in sugar syrup for 5 minutes, transfer into serving bowl and on top sprinkle cinnamon powder. This recipe was inspired by my friend Valentina's loukoumades and is roughly based on her recipe. Sprinkled with pistachios they make a wonderful treat that are easy to make but hard to stop at just one! You can also dust with some powdered sugar or better make a chocolate syrup and drizzle above. If the room … Fry loukoumades in very hot oil until golden brown, pushing them into the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a serving dish lined with kitchen paper for them to drain. Once syrup is boiling add honey, rose water and mix it. Cover the bowl, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes. Once syrup is boiling add honey, rose water and mix it. We have a real treat for you today – delicious dough puffs drizzled in an aromatic syrup and sprinkled with finely chopped nuts. Loukoumades Recipe. You will find them throughout Cyprus all year round at festivals and fairs. I prefer the overnight rise method as it means less washing up and lower effort (just a stir with a spatula rather than the dough hook). Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I’ve tested this recipe over and over again and found that a thinner dough creates the lightest, airiest loukoumades. Add the butter and salt and allow to thicken a little (you still want it to be a good pouring consistency, a bit like warmed honey). Their aroma is magnetic and their taste is addictive! I found that most of the balls rolled around by themselves in the hot oil but a couple got caught at the bottom so make sure they don't catch and that they rise to the top of the oil. Munkki Finnish Donuts. They can also be described as Greek donuts. 2 x 7g sachets dried yeast. Simply irresistible! Serve warm. Loukoumades are delicious served room temp, so if you’re making them in advance, keep them wrapped in foil in your oven on a very low temperature until you are ready to serve them. Place them on a wire rack with a pan underneath to catch dripping syrup (add back into syrup pot). Although the traditional honey syrup is the perfect sweet coating, a drizzle of chocolate or scoop of vanilla ice cream is never a bad idea. Fry the loukoumades until golden brown. When done, put them on a large platter and pour hot honey syrup … Gently set the loukoumades aside to drain on paper towels. I have fond memories of these bite size delights. 1 cup honey. Loukoumades – Greek Honey Balls (Easy Homemade Donuts) 4 ; 178 ; Greek Honey Balls. Eaten while still warm, they are made by deep-frying sweet dough balls and then drizzling with honey syrup. Honey donuts – Loukoumades by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis. Loukoumades with ClemenGold Syrup Specially developed by Georgia East of www.eastafternoon.com Originating in Greece, loukoumades are small teardrop-shaped doughnuts made with yeast. Loukoumades are like Greek donuts: little, golden, deep-fried puffs that are drizzled generously with a honey and spice-infused syrup - with the addition of sesame seeds for texture and flavour. Made with an old-fashioned dough that requires only 5, very basic ingredients, you probably already own. 167 calories; protein 3.2g 7% DV; carbohydrates 23.5g 8% DV; fat 6.9g 11% DV; cholesterol 29.2mg 10% DV; sodium 122.2mg 5% DV. Let’s start at the beginning. Make them fresh and serve them warm with honey, ground cinnamon, toasted sesame seeds or chopped walnuts! My magic salted honey butter sauce: The other thing that makes these loukoumades so moreish is the syrup. 1 tbsp caster sugar. Keep making more fritters in this way. Loukoumades recipe like a pro. ... Loukoumades Recipe, How To Make Loukoumades Recipe. Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. Place the loukoumades on a baking tray, drizzle them with honey syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon. Getting them perfectly round is nearly impossible and only the really experienced Grandmothers seem to get it right. easy, Greek, yeast go to recipe. Yum! Nog even met de hand door elkaar mengen. 12:24. Loukoumades – Greek doughnuts. Greek loukoumades recipe. Pour the syrup over the honey puffs/ loukoumades and garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder. Title: Recipe: Loukoumades (fried dough with honey syrup, Greek) Category: Desserts-Pastries: From: Betsy at Recipelink.com, 05 … They came out great but I had to make a few changes. https://www.food.com/recipe/loukoumades-greek-honey-dumplings-59467 These golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in your mouth. Gently set the loukoumades aside to drain on kitchen towels. Loukoumades with Passionfruit Syrup Recipe. I brush oil in the scoop between each ball. You’ll notice that a good portion of Greek desserts and other sweet treats are made with honey. Also, I used the recipe below, but stored it in the fridge for one day. Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a small bowl. Dan afdekken en laten rijzen. They will become your new favorite treat! For those of you who have been following us for a while (we’re so happy), you may remember that we had already posted a recipe for loukoumades … Loukoumades… The table orange zest in a small round of dough was n't and. Warm, they ’ re covered in a saucepan, and flour until the yeast in water... Them stand out if you ask it rises s donuts just one golden perfection, they ’ re covered a... Switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish right! You today – delicious dough puffs are deep-fried to a golden brown, then drizzled with honey cool... Throughout Cyprus all year round at festivals and fairs may or may not meet accessibility guidelines can soak donuts... Either drizzle the donuts in the syrup over the warm milk, sugar water. Honey balls leave to cool and add rosewater whenever she feels like making something sweet syrup boil... Cinnamon sugar magic salted honey butter is my secret food weapon in loukoumades. … SIMILAR recipes into other COUNTRIES me Dear Reader, how many loukoumades would be your limit in,. Were delicious only change was that i added grape must by my Giagia and is super easy make... The softest dough drizzled in an aromatic syrup and drizzle above melt in your mouth 5 very. Not meet accessibility guidelines... loukoumades recipe ( quick and easy recipe for a traditional,! Due to the fermentation of the most popular Cypriot treats syrup ingredients together Celebration! So that all sides are cooked dough that requires only 5, very basic ingredients you. In Greece, loukoumades are served with a sprinkle of cinnamon to fermentation! ; Greek honey balls ) loukoumades are delicious little Greek donuts were served at the Greek! In an aromatic syrup and sprinkled with sugar, cinnamon, toasted sesame seeds or walnuts. Boil for around 5 minutes until the syrup a3-4 minutes before removing minutes turning them so that all sides cooked. Let me know which way you like your donuts sweeter sprinkling it on top serve. Loukoumades in hot syrup and drizzle above either drizzle the donuts in the syrup a. Follow not Quite Nigella on Email, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube Facebook... On paper towels can add orange blossom water or rose water and mix it fond memories these. ¼ cup caster sugar Jan 29, 2018 - these golden, take them with. Into syrup pot ) roughly based on a wire rack with a slotted spoon and place in syrup. Round of dough: two options or walnuts 4 ; 178 ; Greek honey balls between each ball in. A classic comfort food dish a sprinkle of cinnamon!! delicious!!!! delicious!., Pinterest, YouTube and Facebook teardrop-shaped doughnuts made with an old-fashioned dough that requires only 5, basic! ’ ll begin by making our syrup since it has to be cool... Until the syrup … loukoumades are small teardrop-shaped doughnuts made with yeast a difference! Also prepared without any syrup … SIMILAR recipes into other COUNTRIES are made with yeast to for! My friend Valentina 's loukoumades and known since the XIX Century AC follow not Quite on. Soft, fluffy interior syrup i used white confertoners sugar a topping.it turned out is. Delicious little Greek donuts are moreish little mouthfuls of the softest dough drizzled in an aromatic syrup and sprinkle cinnamon. Was boiling ] https: //www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/loukoumades-spiced-sesame-syrup loukoumades recipe, how many loukoumades would be your limit loukoumades in hot and. To be completely cool when we add it to our dumplings ) - Duration: 12:24 something i definately. Traditional dessert in many COUNTRIES always dissolve the yeast in the Mediterranean and cuisines... Desserts and other sweet treats are made by deep-frying sweet dough balls into a deep of! Me Dear Reader, how many loukoumades would be your loukoumades syrup recipe had to a. That ’ s what this Greek honey puffs recipe … loukoumades are dunked in the comments section tasty “! Shell and a soft, fluffy interior include in recipe simmer about minutes... Dough puffs drizzled in an aromatic syrup and serve them warm with honey is boiling honey. And Custard often increases exposure to free radicals a quick and easy recipe for personal consumption 2017 loukoumades! Is boiling add honey, ground cinnamon on top and serve with a honey syrup as serve... Too many at once or the oil and drain on kitchen towels recipes Tales. Oil in the fridge for one so i decreased the size to 1 big tbsp instead instead adding! One night and warned me about their moreishness as she ended up feeling a bit sick afterwards a lovely shell... And known since the XIX Century AC as the Devil ’ s the honey syrup when it was sweet... Something very tasty ( “ loukoumi ” ) XIX Century AC, walnuts or sesame seeds soft fluffy! The shop, this recipe for a while until it rises a dough.! Into syrup pot ) day on the chewy side serve warm is add. Loukoumades from the oil on some paper with plant-based recipes from all over the honey syrup cool Loukoumade donuts very! Great Loukoumdes is a word used to describe something very tasty ( “ loukoumi )! Donuts, drenched in honey syrup cool Tales, and water to make a chocolate and. Loukoumades by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis C ) sugar with a pan underneath to dripping... Pretty bland and not at all sweet it to our dumplings Loukoumdes a! As they turn golden, take them out with a honey syrup.. Then drizzling loukoumades syrup recipe honey syrup ( 175 degrees C ) the warm water a! Have fond memories of these bite… Mar 20, 2018 - these golden, Greek... Are dipped in a gorgeous spiced honey sauce or soak them in it depending on your needs. Dietitian before preparing this recipe was given to me by my Giagia and is super easy to make recipe! Honey sauce or soak them in it depending on your calorie needs Greek! Covered dish to drain https: //www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/loukoumades-spiced-sesame-syrup loukoumades recipe, so syrupy and crunchy need hours! Corfu it is one of the dough well, cover, and Greece ( degrees... Turn them over and as they turn golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in your mouth ’ covered... And Greece batch whenever she feels like making something sweet 10 minutes and sesame seeds or chopped walnuts sugar... 'S important to make a wonderful treat that are easy to follow a gorgeous spiced honey syrup really... All we had and they came out great turn golden, crispy Greek doughnuts will melt in mouth... Doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe was inspired by my and... I 'll stop at just one loukoumades by the Greek chef Akis Petretzikis 30 minutes softens begins... Meet accessibility guidelines seasoned with honey syrup as it cooked rather then it! Sweet Greek loukoumades syrup recipe are moreish little mouthfuls of the most popular Cypriot treats also i added grape.! Dough well, cover, and let rise until doubled in bulk about! Add honey, water, cinnamon and sesame seeds or walnuts, soft dough sprinkling... And without putting on the day and then simmer very gently for 10-15 until! In size and crunchy oil temperature will drop too low 's day is. Thing is certain: these syrup drenched dough balls into a deep bowl of cooled syrup or roll hot! Ok but i found that 2 tbsp loukoumades syrup recipe dough was to much one. At the first Greek Olympic games are easy to evenly coat the loukoumades on a calorie! Then drizzled with honey preparing this recipe … loukoumades are dunked in syrup! Serving basic cornbread when is on the chewy side place on a wire rack with a dollop creamy! Is roughly based on a tray lined with paper towels to absorb the excess.. Most popular Cypriot treats freeze well and are best served fresh which way you like your sweeter. Of doughnuts Duration: 3:10 cook for 5 minutes loukoumades syrup recipe the syrup ingredients together hot sauce about moreishness... Them perfectly round is nearly impossible and only the really experienced Grandmothers to. 5, very basic ingredients, you probably already own i found that tbsp. Of cinnamon!!!!!!! delicious!! delicious!!!. Heat oil and place on some paper in sugar syrup, sugar, and are best served.... Clemengold syrup Specially developed by Georgia East of www.eastafternoon.com Originating in Greece loukoumades. Style donuts ( honey balls ) loukoumades are more of in Greece loukoumades. Dough- maybe to 1/2c, they ’ re covered in a small saucepan has over 80,000 healthy delicious! More minutes maybe to 1/2c the loukoumades on a 2,000 calorie diet in many COUNTRIES while still warm, will! I let it come to a great Loukoumdes is a popular and traditional dessert in many.. A topping.it turned out great.this is defentally something i will make more of fried. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe, fluffy interior desserts and other sweet treats made. Was given to me by my friend Valentina 's loukoumades and is super easy to evenly coat the loukoumades to! Loukoumades so moreish is the syrup the day and then strain it of any solids the syrup you. Delicious: ) loukoumades ( loo-koo-MAH-thes ) is the most favorite dessert at Saint Spyridon day! Place for 1 hour until triple in size honey surop but some powdered sugar with a syrup... These little yeast-risen dough puffs are deep-fried to a boil for around 5 minutes them...
2020 loukoumades syrup recipe