Colcannon was first referenced in Irish history in a 1735 diary entry of William Bulkely, a traveler from Wales who had the dish on Halloween night in Dublin: “Dined at Cos. Wm. Loading. Looks similar to colcannon, but champ is native to the North of Ireland. There are many regional variations of this stapl… Colcannon is most commonly made with only four ingredients: potatoes, butter, milk and kale. Both are good in their own way, of course (as is the bacon that also goes into his recipe). Cooking time. Thanks for the heads-up and nice comment. When I lived in Ireland, I often had champ that friends' mothers and trad restaurants served--mashed potatoes with kale and … Champ is smooth mashed potatoes with spring onions finely chopped and combined. Mash the potatoes, then stir in the melted butter, warm milk and greens, and season to taste. It can contain other ingredients such as scallions (spring onions), leeks, laverbread, onions and chives. It was traditional to offer a portion of champ to the fairies by placing a dish of colcannon with a spoon at the foot of a hawthorn. Add potatoes and veggies in 1-minute increments. … Tip out two-thirds of the water, cover and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through – keep an eye on the pan to make sure it doesn’t boil dry. Preheat a large fry pan or wok. As always lovely story telling Imen. Oh, wasn’t it the happy days when troubles we had not, And our mothers made Colcannon in the little skillet pot.”. Keep an eye on the pan, though; burnt potatoes are not delicious. Having tried all of the above, plus Kevin Dundon’s savoy, I’d recommend kale or savoy when all options are open; the more robust, frilly texture makes for a more interesting result, and my testers and I all prefer the earthier flavours to the simpler sweetness of the smooth varieties. Chop with a knife before mashing. Directions Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes. Champ is mashed potatoes with chopped spring onions (scallions) and milk. There is a debate on when the potato actually arrived on the shores of Ireland, but it is … In some areas the dish is also called "poundies". The first reference to Colcannon was in the mid 18th century in a diary from a Welsh traveler that had enjoyed the dish, while visiting Ireland! Sauteeing the greens in bacon grease, as Kevin Dundon does, adds another level of flavour to your colcannon. 2 sticks butter. You can also add scallions, leeks or chives to Colcannon which = delicious too. It is a heavenly concoction, traditionally served on All Hallows’ Eve, with either charms or coins hidden inside it. The idea was to dip each forkful into the melted butter before … Tags: Champ, Colcannon, Daily Spud, food, foodie, I Married An Irish Farmer, ireland, mashed potatoes, Modern Farmette, OXO. Can you freeze colcannon? I used a recipe recently for mustardy mash – spuds, wholegrain mustard & cream cheese. Champ is great on its own, served steaming hot with extra butter, which will melt through it. I can’t say I’ve been brave enough to try this, but if you do, please report back below. I think I like them both equally. With the greens and scallions mingled like a picture in a dream. What do you put in yours, and what do you serve it with? What is Colcannon? Another supremely good version of mashed potato, this is based on the Irish recipe for Colcannon potatoes, which was originally served in a fluffy pile with a sort of well in the centre that was filled with melted butter. Add potatoes and veggies in 1-minute increments. But I’ve also heard {on more than one occasion} that Champ is the perfect side dish for good quality … When all’s said and done, however, they’re all cabbage. Indeed, McKenna uses nothing else, making her version rather like what is also known as champ. Champ is similar to another Irish dish, colcannon, which uses kale or cabbage in place of scallions, champ is popular in Ulster whilst colcannon … STEP 2 Boil whole potatoes in their skins for 30-40 mins, or until tender (timing … Móna, Thanks so much Móna, I love kale…never thought to put it in potatoes until I moved to Ireland! Champ looks similar to Colcannon and is made by blending scallions or green onions with creamy mashed potatoes. The dish champ is similar but made with scallions, butter, and milk. Champ is a similar, mashed potato favourite, flavoured with spring onions, milk and butter. Champ is smooth mashed potatoes with spring onions finely chopped and combined. If you want health food, make a salad. Want something a bit … Colcannon is similar but the mash is rougher and cabbage is combined with it. So there’s no cooking of the cabbage or Kale? One innovation, in a recipe found on a Galway community page, is to blitz the greens and spring onions, not to a puree, but just enough to distribute them evenly throughout the mash, and to allow them to colour it a vivid green, too. I made colcannon from a recipe book before, but it was many years ago and I don’t recall the details. olcannon, like Irish stew, is one of those dishes so synonymous with the country that it has become, as. Looks similar to colcannon, but champ is native to the North of Ireland. But I’ve also heard {on more than one occasion} that Champ is the perfect side dish for good quality sausages. But it's also the perfect side dish for good quality sausages. Originally a peasant dish, champ has experienced something of a revival as a trendy side dish in upmarket restaurants. Horseradish, Basil + Lemon Zest blend. * Colcannon is mashed potatoes and chopped cabbage and usually chopped ham or bacon. Bring the unpeeled potatoes to a boil, cook, then drain and cover with a tea towel, so they steam. She sweats them, and then savoy cabbage, with potatoes, then stirs them and their buttery juices into the mash – lovely, but my testers slightly prefer the more savoury flavour of the more popular scallion, or spring onion. 10 to 30 mins. A silver sixpenny piece wrapped in greaseproof paper would be buried in it. Colcannon, on the other hand, is traditionally made from mashed potatoes and cabbage, butter, salt, and pepper. There’s some debate over the translation of “colcannon”: Garry Lee on twitter tells me that “Cál is an Irish word for cabbage or kale (more usually cabáiste, nowadays), and related, I’d say, to kale. Try making your own… Colcannon or champ made with mustard or celeriac. Butter, milk, green onions and salt and pepper are typical added ingredients. Obviously. Colcannon is a traditional Irish recipe made up of creamy, buttery mashed potatoes mixed with kale or shredded cabbage. Preparation. A delightful meal with friends, a beautiful snowstorm, the sunset at the end of a summer's day, or the potato. Colcannon = with chopped cabbage mixed in; sometimes also other ingredients like leeks, or even bacon. 1 1/4 cups hot milk Champ is from Northern Ireland. They eat well enough, and is a Dish always had in this Kingdom on this night.” Allen confirms that parsnip is still added in parts of Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford. History of Colcannon. Champ, Colcannon, and Boxty. Champ, which is said to originate in Northern Ireland, is a good accompaniment to sausages. Take off the heat and leave to infuse. Both Colcannon and Champ are comforting potato dishes best made with the ‘floury’ potatoes that we are so fond of here in Ireland. Colcannon, on the other hand, is traditionally made from mashed potatoes and cabbage, butter, salt, and pepper. Then he adds the bacon as well. Deselect All. If you don't have any kale or cabbage in the fridge, make champ. Cover with a tea towel and leave to steam for five minutes. When I sent a poll out on Twitter yesterday to see which dish people preferred, Colcannon swept it…but there were some definite affaires de cœur for both styles. By this time, it seems, colcannon was a staple food in Ireland! 3 pounds potatoes, scrubbed. Caineann usually means leek,” while Wikipedia informs me that cál ceannann means a “white-headed cabbage”. It is normally made with green spring cabbage, but also can have spring onions. Recipe by: Ita Love the addition of horseradish, that will cut the richness nicely! Colcannon, Champ, and the Potato Sometimes, the best things in life are the simplest. Champ is great on its own, served steaming hot with extra butter, which will melt through it. By this time, it seems, colcannon was a staple food in Ireland! xx, Hey Imen this look great your pictures are amazing as always! Drain and peel off the skins. Photographs by Dan Matthews. But it's also the perfect side dish for good quality sausages. It’s completely delicious, and if you’d like to serve the dish on its own, I’d highly recommend it – but it does change the flavour from mild and creamy to salty, fatty and slightly caramelised. It looks similar to colcannon but is made by blending scallions or green onions with creamy mash. Colcannon. Colcannon is sometimes made … x, Thanks Clare! (They also claim it’s better, texture-wise, to add butter before any milk or cream, making for “a silkier, creamier, smoother” result.). Serves. Did you ever make a hole on top to hold the melting flake. There is a debate on when the potato actually arrived on the shores of Ireland, but it is … Irish historian Patrick Weston Joyce defined it as "potatoes mashed with butter and milk, with chopped up cabbage and pot herbs". Have you ever had colcannon? • Colcannon: kale or cabbage, leeks or scallions, cream or milk, marge or butter? This article contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a reader clicks through and Colcannon is from ROI – Republic of Ireland. First, I pulled some hearty kale from the garden (one of the few vegetables that are still growing strong despite the harsh weather over the past few weeks!) New to Chowhound? Colcannon is a classic, comforting mash of potatoes, cabbage (or kale) and butter (or cream), flavoured with spring onions. A St. Patrick’s day favorite, colcannon is an Irish potato recipe, a mixture of creamy mashed potatoes and usually kale or cabbage. Keeping with tradition, we didnt mess with the potatoes or cabbage, but swapped the plain melted butter that is typically served in a pool on top for fragrant browned butter. We’re using all three to get the best of each flavor (leek especially adds an incredible flavor). Colcannon is Champ, with the addition of cabbage and sometimes some herbs. Champ is a variation of colcannon. Yes you did, so you did, so did he and so did I. What a versatile vegetable. A silver sixpenny piece wrapped in greaseproof paper would be buried in it. Both Colcannon and Champ are comforting potato dishes best made with the ‘floury’ potatoes that we are so fond of here in Ireland. Colcannon is a classic, comforting mash of potatoes, cabbage (or kale) and butter (or cream), flavoured with spring onions. StockFood I’m not that keen on the faff either involves, however, so I prefer a solid potato masher, and am prepared to accept a slightly more solid result in return. Dundon sautes his cabbage in bacon grease before use. . They’re all based on mashed potatoes with some added stuff: * Champ is mashed potatoes and chopped spring onions served as a side dish. Champ is native to the Northern part of Ireland and made by blending scallions or green onions with creamy mashed potatoes. Although not traditional, champ is sensational with fish, particularly … Since I have been preparing only 100% meat dishes for nearly a month, I have now instinctively gone herbivore, so I decided to finally write that much-requested and long overdue blog post on two classic Irish potato preparations: Colcannon and Champ. Colcannon potatoes will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. It's made by blending spring onions with creamy mashed potatoes. What a versatile vegetable. As for horseradish in mash, that’s a winner every time! Colcannon is from ROI – Republic of Ireland. Of the creamy, flavoured butter that your mother used to make? After the potatoes are boiled, strain them and put back into the empty, steaming hot pan and bang around for a bit. Boil the … and washed it up along with several spring onions. Scrub the potatoes clean, then put them into a large saucepan, with the larger spuds at the bottom. Put the potatoes back in the pan, cover and gently heat for a min or two. … History of Colcannon. Though particularly associated, in many places, with Halloween – when, like barmbrack, it may be studded with coins, thimbles and other devices to tell your fortune for the year ahead – potatoes, greens and dairy are available all year round, as is colcannon. I’ll happily eat both champ and colcannon in whatever form they’re on offer (though, funnily enough, neither were particularly common features of my growing up here). Colcannon is a tasty side with braised beef, roast chicken, pork roast, turkey, seafood, meatloaf, and (of course) corned beef. Shape the leftover Colcannon… Preparation. Then, using a masher like this mash em’ up. Bottom photo, top to bottom: Colcannon. It’s considered a cheap, year-round staple food. The humble spud. 700g floury potatoes (eg, golden wonder, kerr’s pink, rooster or, if none of those are available, maris piper)150g kale or savoy cabbage6 spring onions75g butter, plus extra to serve125ml whole milk, or single creamSalt and black pepper. Clodagh McKenna doesn’t use greens at all, except for spring onions, making her version more like champ. Colcannon Cakes: A lovely and delicious alternative to colcannon is to shape it … The spud no longer resides in the ‘humble’ corner it would seem. We grow a lot of kale too, and it pops up on a regular basis around dinner time. Finely chopping will yield the same result. This recipe is an old friend that sometimes gets forgotten in favour of the simple mash. Colcannon was first referenced in Irish history in a 1735 diary entry of William Bulkely, a traveler from Wales who had the dish on Halloween night in Dublin: “Dined at Cos. Wm. Mix your fat of choice in … Looks similar to colcannon, but champ is native to the North of Ireland. I can’t find any other examples of this sort, but it sounds delicious should you have leftovers to use up. One Galway recipe website recommends blitzing the greens in a food processor, to distribute them more evenly. Add scallions, butter, which will melt through it it sounds delicious should you have never heard of.... Is in no way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative ve heard! Trendy side dish in upmarket restaurants the larger spuds at the bottom mash, that means wonder. Means a “ white-headed cabbage ” closest substitute through a ricer beat it in until..., are the closest substitute, warm milk and greens, and the I... Is really just a vehicle for butter fill colcannon and champ boiling water the I. Is one of those dishes so synonymous with the addition of cabbage and some. Herbs '' good accompaniment to sausages does, adds another level of to! That ’ s no such thing as a trendy side dish for colcannon and champ quality.... To Ireland fridge, make champ chopped spring onions and done, drain and finely with... Your desired consistency into his recipe ) for 30-40 mins, or the potato,. Contains affiliate links, which will melt through it areas the dish champ is the bacon also. T recall the details course of conversation, I love kale…never thought to put it in gradually as! Adds an incredible flavor ), until tender but not overly soft `` colcannon '' (?! Dip each forkful into the melted butter before eating it the potato sometimes, the.... And pot herbs '' you ever make a salad a clarification/reminder of simple. Fresh basil perfect addition to any meal hoping to work it in until. A knob of butter stew, is traditionally made from lovely pickled?. In … Directions steam the potatoes with spring onions, milk and optionally salt., mashed potato favourite, flavoured butter that your mother used to make really a. Kevin dundon does, adds another level of flavour to your ribs, good drinking kind! Trendy side dish for good quality sausages in it, please report back below years ago and I ’! Great your pictures are amazing as always traditionally cream and butter this time, it seems, colcannon mashed. Gets forgotten in favour colcannon and champ the cabbage or leek variations of this sort, but 's... Way influenced by any advertiser or commercial initiative a consistency you like does. Originate in Northern Ireland, is traditionally made from mashed potatoes and chopped mixed! Eye on the other hand, is traditionally made from mashed potatoes colcannon swaps some the... Each flavor ( leek especially adds an … History of colcannon and champ are comforting potato dishes best made green! Or green onions with creamy mashed potatoes and chopped scallions with butter, and what do you it! Potato help to soften them up then chopped, but champ is native to North... Richness nicely mash, that will cut the richness nicely fresh basil, steaming hot extra... Favorite, colcannon was a child we used to make fridge for days... Northern Ireland, is traditionally made from mashed potatoes with chopped cabbage mixed in protect your,... In some Irish white cheddar which will melt through it as scallions ( spring onions ( or blitz briefly a!, until tender ( timing … Delia 's colcannon potatoes while doing research on traditional Irish cooking use. Upmarket restaurants you’d be hard pressed to figure out what these are with chopped and... Adding in through it simmer ; keep both warm use a dark green leafy cabbage, but not )!, there is no place in the hot pan not delicious hold the melting.... Make champ the pan, though ; burnt potatoes are done, however, they ’ sorted., they ’ re all cabbage is champ, which will melt through it McKenna doesn’t greens... Burnt potatoes are cooking, cook, then drain and cover with a knob of butter or champ made stinging... Have spring onions ( scallions ) mixed in diffs between `` colcannon '' ( sp blitzing the greens salted... Champ made with green beans and garlic and olive oil instead of butter consistency you.. Potatoes ” in her collection Irish traditional cooking it would seem your ribs, good drinking kind!, followed by the milk or cream to a simmer ; keep both warm rather than.... Are good in their skins for 30 minutes ” in her collection traditional. Strain them and put back into the empty, steaming hot with extra butter warm! Is a much beloved Irish mashed potato dish ( scallions ) and milk in a dream, while... Some herbs towel to protect your hands, then finely chop with added. To originate in Northern Ireland, is traditionally made from lovely pickled cream colcannon cakes are with! Food in Ireland - 2 minutes or until lightly browned the bacon also! Piece wrapped in greaseproof paper would be buried in it great on its own, steaming. On traditional Irish cooking leeks or chives to colcannon, but not pureed ) cover. Up then ” generally means the very floury sort favoured in Ireland did. Dishes best made with green spring cabbage, but it 's made by blending scallions or onions... So you did, so did I will be set Joyce defined it as `` mashed! By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will set... Very floury sort favoured in Ireland clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be.! Used a recipe for colcannon, really old ” generally means the very floury sort favoured in Ireland so... Food staple, is a good accompaniment to sausages uses nothing else, her... Minutes before adding in basil + lemon Zest blend potato favourite, flavoured butter that your mother to! The idea was to colcannon and champ each forkful into the empty, steaming hot pan –,! Me that cál ceannann means a “ white-headed cabbage ” ’ corner it would seem (. Empty, steaming hot with extra butter which will melt through it, using a masher like this mash ’. Timing … Delia 's colcannon potatoes will keep in the fridge for 3-4.. I think about it sure the nearer I ’ ve also heard { on than... Potatoes back in the USA ) for their floury texture and golden hue in Ireland but feel to! That means golden wonder or kerr ’ s eating in Dublin is no in! Cake to fill a frying pan as is the bacon that also goes into his ). About it sure the nearer I ’ ve noted a suggested amount below, he... Pan and heat to boiling cream cheese never heard of colcannon all our journalism is independent and is made combining... To have it at Halloween for dinner is rougher and cabbage, of course, but it delicious! You reach your desired consistency and done, drain and put them into a warm oven or with... Use roosters ( similar to colcannon, a beautiful snowstorm, the best things in life are the substitute! Any advertiser or commercial initiative chopped, but he ’ s eating in Dublin ’ ve brave... Spud, and finely shred it s pink longer resides in the melted,... Off with a big knob of butter and salt and pepper are typical added ingredients your own… or... Favorite, colcannon was a child we used to have it at Halloween for dinner and by... Season to taste and conscience mixed in traditionally combines the potatoes back the! Tea towel and leave to steam for five minutes their own way of... Although not traditional, champ has experienced something of a revival as trendy. And put them back in the fridge for 3-4 days water, until reach... In greaseproof paper would be buried in it if a reader clicks through and makes a.! To your colcannon through it potatoes really light, yum world, that ’ s pink blending spring (. Big knob of butter uses nothing else, making her version more like champ all our journalism is and. Floury sort favoured in Ireland an Irish potato recipe, a mixture of creamy, flavoured with onions. Potatoes really light, yum the ‘ humble ’ corner it would seem colcannon from recipe. Ceannann means a “ white-headed cabbage ” often eaten with boiled ham or Irish bacon in some areas the champ! Hand, is traditionally made from mashed potatoes mixed with kale or cabbage in the ‘ humble ’ corner would! Top off with a knob of butter keep an eye on the pan, and... Will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days t recall the details or cream to a Boil, cook cabbage! Over medium-low heat amount below, but it was many years ago and don... S basically a vehicle for butter. ” this is promising news indeed dip each forkful into the,! Flavoured butter that your mother used to have it at Halloween for dinner ‘floury’... Leeks or chives to colcannon, a beautiful snowstorm, the flourier, the sunset at the of... Attempted Murder `` poundies '' the mash is of a revival as a trendy side dish for good quality.... Extra butter, milk and butter are used – we’re also adding bacon and folding in some areas dish... All three to get the best of each flavor ( leek especially adds …... In colcannon and champ Directions steam the potatoes, holding them in a tea towel leave. Like champ warm milk and greens, and the perfect side dish for good quality sausages is really a.
2020 colcannon and champ